Friday, February 02, 2024

It's my third year of doing Jamuary, and it's the one occasion where I really throw myself into creating synthpop on Ableton for Brian Funk's Music Production Club. It's a big priority in my heart but I don't think about creating "real" songs, I think about the compatibilities of sound: is this too much? What am I expecting to hear? What happens if I hold back? What happens if I drop away?

I've uploaded this year's Jamuary sessions for download on C&CM. They're scrappy and DIY, and I tend to prefer the lo-fi versions on my socials. I love to detect an influence seeping in, accidentally working out how to do Italo Disco, Amiga demos, or even Bloc Party. There's a kind of thrill in creating music in such an instinctive way, working towards a sense of what "feels" right.

Hacked Playtron

My videos typically feature a Playtron, which I also call "the motherboard". It's a reworked midi controller used to trigger audio samples on Arcade's Output. The motherboard needs to be ground with a silver ring, attached by an alligator clip to my finger. Of course, this is not to be confused with the "acid harp", a lyre which overwhelms everyone with its resonance.

I might show you how the scrappy DIY jams are made one day, but perhaps that's a thing for another year (or decade)...




4 comments:

chickboomcrash said...

I really appreciate the creativity in your musical posts. As an aging musician succumbing to the degradation of the flesh, I find myself either seeking out or accidentally encountering an ever-growing amalgam of musical genres that bring more color and excitement...depth...to my world. This is how I experience your offerings. An experience I, indeed we all need.

I'm okay - With my decay
I have no choice - I have no voice
I have no say - On my decay
I have no choice - So I rejoice

Thank you!
Dave.

Eleanor said...

Thanks so much for the encouragement, @chickboomcrash! It's always nice to expand out your musical tastes and expectations, especially when there's a natural tendency towards the familiar. I hope you continue to make your music too!

Brian Funk said...

Awesome work, Eleanor! It's a lot of fun hearing you work that Playtron! You get lots of great sounds! And despite lower your bar, you came up with a lot of great music! Thanks for sharing it all!

Eleanor said...

Thanks so much for your encouragement and the fantastic community you've created, @Brian! It's always my favourite time of year and I'm looking forward to next Jamuary!