Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Yesterday, myself and many others received this email from Simon Knight, my station manager of four years:

I'm sorry to have to tell you all that SUB FM will be closing at the end of this semester. The University has not included us in their services to be funded next year and subsequently I am (and many others) are to be made redundant. The station will continue as normal til the end of semester...

This is why.

It's difficult to express how I feel about this. I've lost something so important to me. This was my little stage, my platform where I first consolidated thoughts about my music and all the ridiculous things associated with it. It was the place I could talk so freely and carelessly with people I missed so much. SUB was the place where I found my confidence. SUB was the place I found my passion.


Julian Casablancas: Things, they have changed in such a permanent way

Personal associations aside, the bulk of my disappointment lies in the fact that no future students will have this chance again. No one at Latrobe will have the opportunity to stumble upon their passion on air. In saying that it's ironic to mention that I started radio simply because Latrobe shut down its music department 12 years ago. Regardless, I am so grateful I've been given this chance in the first place. I'm very much indebted to my station manager Simon after all these years of support. I toast my milk to you, sir.

Playlist for August 7th 2006
New Order - Face Up
INXS - Black & White (Extended Mix)
The Strokes - Alone, Together
Suede - Rent
Ratcat - That Ain't Bad (Live at Sydney's Metro)
Basement Jaxx - Romeo (Acoustic)
The Shins - Caring is Creepy
Maximo Park - Shiver (Acoustic Cover)
Blackbox Recorder - Kidnapping an Heiress
Ivy League - London Bridge
The Whitlams - Make the World Safe
Moloko - Familiar Feelings
Peter Gabriel - Digging in the Dirt
Montell Jordan - This is how we do it
Le Tigre - I'm so Excited
Pet Shop Boys - Try It (Peel Session)
Style Council - Long Hot Summer (El's Lust-Induced-Coma Mix)
Depeche Mode - Leave in Silence
Piney Gir - Boston

Don't forget to download the first 78 minutes of this week's show, if you happened to miss it, that is (44mb, decent quality, considering).

No comments: