Monday, April 26, 2010

Dear Italo Disco,

Never have I been so totally besotted and bemused by a single genre. I scarcely know what to say when people ask what's going on between us, because the fact is that it's impossible to define what we have. It's not that I am ashamed of you... well, OK, yes, I am ashamed of you.

Don't be downhearted, I think you're still great. I still want to stay up until 3 o'clock in the morning, listening to Italo megamixes. But I just don't know what people will say when they find out the truth about us. I used to have some credibility endorsing jangly guitar music on the interwebs, but I seem to be endorsing more and more music of a dubious quality.

I know that fans have been talking about you behind your back. They say that your music is tacky and disposable. They say that your singers don't understand what they're singing about. They say that the entire thing was engineered by recording labels. It's not fair that they should treat you so bad, Italo.

There's still hope for you yet. There could be a revival, you gotta believe me. Pitchfork could write a hyperbolic endorsement and you could be ironically adored by scenesters the world over! Then I could get all aggressively and territorial and claim that I loved you first! El stylee!

Now, I don't want you to act out but I think it's best we don't see each other for a while. It's nothing personal, Italo, I've just sort of overdosed on you. I leave you with C&CM Italo Podcast #21 in your memory.

Arrivederci,

Eleanor xx


Cassettes & Chocolate Milk: Italo Disco Podcast #21
Alexander Robotnick - Problèmes d'Amour
My Mine - Hypnotic Tango
Facts & Fiction - Give Me The Night
Miko Mission - The World is You
Eddy Huntington - USSR
Sally Shapiro - Save Your Love
Ali Renault - Cuffs
Hipnosis - Droids

Download (71MB)

No comments: